Saturday, September 17, 2005

Ramblings

I don't have anything really to say. But I feel guilty for not writing anything since September 4. It's not that our lives have been especially quiet lately, it's just been exceptionally busy and I haven't had the time to chronicle the funny, weird, maddening events of our lives. Plus, it seemed so trite to write about the mundane suburban adventures when so many people have been displaced with just the clothes on their backs. The President addressed the nation last week and it was the first time I was able to listen to one of his speeches the whole way through. Of course, I was just listening to him on the radio so I didn't have to see his facial expressions as he worked his way through the difficult text. The speech was fine but it was just delivered too late. At any rate, I can't really write about it in a thoughtful, diplomatic way and that's not what this blog is about.
The boys are doing well although, Dean's going through a phase which is not at all attractive. He's become very - well sensitive, I guess. He just loses it without any warning and then all is lost. Even Jack has tried to help him but that just makes him more mad. Last Sunday when he woke from his nap he just sat on Tom's lap and cried for an hour and a half. Tom and I were acting like flustered waiters - can I get you some milk? some yogurt? some applesauce? do you want some water? juice? PLEASE TELL ME!!!!! Finally, I asked if he wanted a sippy cup and he half wailed, half cried "yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". Affirmative??? Now that's something I can work with. So after he sucked down a cup full of rice milk, all was right with the world. That bipolar thing is tugging at the back of my brain - I swear! But those moments really aren't that often. Jack climbed into bed this morning, wrapped his arms around my neck and exclaimed, "I love you mommy". That's what it's all about. Bedtime with Dean is one of my favorite times of the day. He nestles into my arm to read books and then when it's time for him to climb into bed he turns to me with his lips pursed ready for kisses. And I can't help but lay my head next to his and tell him over and over what a good, sweet boy he is and that I love him sooooo much. He smiles and says "ok".
Life is good.

No comments: