Friday, July 28, 2006

Parenting while sick

Daddy had to go to Vegas on Wednesday for a convention so, naturally I got sick yesterday. I laid down in my office for an hour and a half trying to get the energy to get in the car to pick up the boys. Finally, I managed to get there but was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get out of the car without barfing. So, I called daycare as I idled on the street and asked if they would please bring the boys out to the car for me. Being the best daycare in the world, they did just that. I had put my seat down as far as it would go and was willing my stomach to stop churning when the boys approached. In they climbed and looked at me curiously and asked if I was sick. I said that I was and got out of the car to put their seat belts on. As we drove away, J suggested that maybe I ate too much at lunch and that's why my belly was hurting. I nodded and said that was very possible. Then D chimed in and thought that maybe I needed to drink more water. I agreed with him that it was important to drink water. Then I told them that they were very good suggestions and that I really appreciated their concern and that now I was going to put on their superhero music because I couldn't really talk anymore. On we went - me with gritted teeth and a tarzan popcorn bucket on my lap, them singing along to the spiderman theme song.
Thankfully, we made it home without my having to make use of the tarzan popcorn bucket. A big grateful shout out to TIVO for capturing a new episode of the Teen Titans which the boys could watch over and over. Ah, my TV babysitter - so helpful, so loving, so free - well, except for the $68 per month I shell out. Anyway, I laid on the couch while they watched the TTs kick some Slade booty and after the 2nd episode was over I finally began to feel a bit better. Did I mention what good little boys they were? So thoughtful and kind and easygoing? As I lay on the couch and watched their little faces, so completely absorbed in the graphic imagery that is TT, I marveled at their being. Do you know what I mean? They're here. How many years did I wonder what it would be like to have children; what would they look like, sound like, who would they be like? It is so much better than I could have ever imagined it.

No comments: