Saturday, June 17, 2006


It's 9:30pm and the first time I've sat down, besides to eat dinner, since 3:00. We took the kids to swimming lessons this morning, then over to Target to get swim vests, then to Hometown Buffet for lunch, then I had to go to the Italian deli to pick up a few things for our picnic tomorrow, then we went home. We had to drive a little out of our way because we were trying to get J to go to sleep and he was fighting it. We finally got home around 3:00 but I had to go back out to get groceries. I got home at 5:00 and, after putting the groceries away, it was time to make dinner. And I also had to start the chicken for our picnic tomorrow. We're having a backyard picnic at the Sullivan's with another family. We're all bringing stuff to eat, and then we'll all relax poolside. Thus, the swimming vests that we had to pick up at Target. We wouldn't have gotten them but the Sullivan boys have them and so our boys think they can do the same things as the Sullivans but they can't because they don't have vests on. Now - they have vests, too.
Swimming lessons went really well this morning. Both boys are becoming more comfortable in the water, especially with the floating. The teacher today pushed them a little by making them swim out to her - they really just glide to her but it was a big step forward for them. We have one more lesson in the therapy pool then starting July 8 we start the new "term" and can hopefully have their lessons in the therapy pool but it's a crapshoot. The therapy pool is a lot warmer - 90+ degrees as opposed to 83. Not that 83 is cool, not by a long shot, but D really needs the pool a little warmer since he hasn't any meat on his bones.
Speaking of meat - that kid won't eat. All he wants is warm milk and suddenly I'm having flashbacks of 2 years ago when I was trying to wean him or, really, any time in the last 3+ years that something has interrupted his comfortable routine. That kid does not like change. NOT ONE BIT. And drama??!! Oh yes, he is prone to the drama. Can't imagine where he got that from. ahem
Poor J has been sick for the last few days; fever off and on and I finally had to give him 2 breathing treatments today because he was sounding rather wheezy and I could see him pulling for air. Halfway into the first treatment I could already see that he was breathing easier. And after the first one was completed, he wasn't pulling for air anymore. Seeing that reminded me of when he was first born and in the NICU. They had to work so hard to get oxygen because their lungs were so premature and you could see the effort in their necks and chests with every breath. It's hard to believe they were ever that small and that sick. Looking at them now, I count my blessings everyday. It could have been so much worse and there were many, many things that could have gone wrong. We're incredibly lucky.

No comments: