Monday, August 27, 2007

Ramblings

I owe you more, I know. I understand the disappointment that comes with clicking on your favorite URL only to find there is no new post. You re-read old ones, just so you can maybe see some old photos or have a quick chuckle over a forgotten anecdote. But it isn't the same.

It's hard to come up with new material sometimes, though. I mean, the guys provide it pretty regularly but it's not as if I have a computer at my fingertips. Some of the best dialogue comes from a conversation in the car but I often lose track of the thread by the time I get in front of a computer, usually after dinner has been made, dishes cleaned, teeth brushed and stories read.

Lately, they've been a bit mean to one another. The tiniest bit of provocation can turn them into venom-spewing, foot stomping scowly faces. Before you know it, all I hear is "you're mean" then "no, you're mean" and on and on and on. I guess I knew that this was all part of having kids. I recall fighting with my brother and my mom became so fed up with us. I understand how she felt now. It's all so childish. Yes, I realize the irony of that sentence - they are, after all, children.

Joseph, one of the teachers at the daycare, told me last week that he can tell a lot about a kid by what happens when that child is absent. So, for example, when Dean is not there, kids don't get hurt as often. When Jack's not there, Joseph doesn't have anyone to help him clean. I don't want to give Dean a bad rep. He's absolutely committed to whatever he's doing and when his activity is threatened, he is protective. Sometimes with his teeth. Joseph explained that his teeth are his best defense, particularly against someone like James who outweighs him by 30 pounds. And in a way, he went on to say, it is brilliant in its simplicity. I like that Joseph respects his ingenuity, even when condemning his action. Dean has one more year to figure out how to manage his temper before starting kindergarten. I don't think he'll receive the same pass once he's in public school.

No comments: