Monday, April 13, 2009

Pictures and an Update









You'd never know from the pictures just how miserable Dean has been the past few days. Tuesday and Wednesday were hard, Thursday was better and Friday was the best day yet. It all fell apart Friday night though. He was awake every 2 hours screaming that his ears hurt. I called the ENT on call on Saturday morning and he said that it's not uncommon to have ear pain after the surgery and to alternate the tylenol w/ codeine with motrin. Even with that, he still had ear pain intermittently. He woke up frequently Saturday night and last night, too. I left a mesage with the doctor to see if there's anything else I can do. Part of the problem is that during the night he's not drinking so his throat gets dry and then it hurts to swallow so he just refuses to do it. But, he can't take the medicine without swallowing so he screams from the pain and screams at us for trying to make him take the medicine and drink. Last night, after an hour of screaming I had almost convinced him that he should take the medicine and he looked up at me and said "MOM! This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you." Later in the night, was it 2:00 or 3:00 - the time is all blurred, I was explaining why he needed to take the medicine, why he needed to drink, repeating myself over and over as calmly as possible and he finally looked at me and said, "I don't accept that. I just don't accept that."

It's really hard to not laugh when he says stuff like that.

The last week has been really hard but I was expecting that. But I thought that we'd be on the other side of it by now and that he'd be feeling better, not worse.

*****

I took a photography workshop a few weeks ago and finally had a chance to play around with it this weekend. Dean is very easy to catch but Jack is really tough. He just never stands still. I'm always catching him with his eyes closed or just the blur of his head as he whips around to run somewhere else. So these are the best of the many that I took.

*****

The ENT office just called back. Sounds like they may be calling in a prescription for something stronger than tylenol with codeine.

No comments: