Saturday, November 10, 2007

In Which Our Heroine Almost Messes Up Again

The countdown began as soon as I got up this morning, at around 7:00. Get up, put a tv show on for the boys, make the coffee, get a load of laundry in the washer, wrap a birthday present, empty the dishwasher, make the oatmeal, back to the laundry room - you get the drift. That's my typical Saturday but I was especially mindful of the time because we had to leave at 9:30 for a birthday party and I wanted to get as much done as possible before we left.

I was about to get into the shower when I thought maybe I should check the invitation one more time just to make sure it was from 10-noon and that's when I discovered that yes, indeed it is from 10-noon. ON THE ELEVENTH! Sigh.

The boys were a little disappointed. But they rallied. We ran some errands and then spent an hour at the park. The good news is the present is wrapped and ready for tomorrow and most of the weekend chores are done. Tom and I went through the cabinets in the kitchen tonight and threw a bunch of stuff away and then reorganized the cabinets. It looks so much nicer.
I made homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner. It was amazing. I'll post the recipe tomorrow. I got the basic recipe from a Saveur cookbook but instead of using sharp cheddar, I used a combination of fontina, parmesan reggiano, and a dry monterey jack that was super-aged so it has almost a sweet flavor. Absolutely decadent.

No comments: