Monday, November 05, 2007

A rant on Day 6

I was going to post about how I've been thinking I need to be more "in the moment". I have a tendency to toss off "How are you" as I'm passing someone without waiting to hear their response and it's something I want to change in myself. So, I had this plan to write this feel-good kind of that would be the impetus for me to live in the moment, to stop and listen when I'm talking to people.

But first I had to call Cigna to make sure the tests that I'm supposed to have tomorrow morning are covered by my insurance. I do this even though my Doctor's office assured me that I didn't have to call. You see, I know my insurance carrier quite well. Despite numerous assurances, I may still get stuck with the bill. I don't want to risk it. This is what I pay $70 a week for - so I can do all the legwork.

After waiting 10 minutes to get through their lovely "automated" help menu, I was told that they couldn't assure me that I wouldn't have to pay because it wasn't a contracted facility. Even after I explained that my husband had the exact same tests done at the exact same facility and Cigna paid, they couldn't assure me of anything. They asked for the date of service which, not surprisingly, I didn't have at my fingertips.

I called the medical facility and asked how they planned to bill it because if they bill through the contracted physician, then Cigna will pay. But, if they just bill through the facility, then Cigna won't pay.

Does this make any sense?

I found out Tom's date of service and called Cigna back. All they could tell me then was that they paid the physician on that date of service but they couldn't tell me what they paid for - the actual testing or the consultation with the physician.

Still, I received no assurance that my insurance company will pay. After 40 minutes of phone calls.

My "in the moment" feeling right now is not very healthy so I'm going to try being very OUT OF THE MOMENT!!!!

Deep, calming, cleansing breaths later . . .

Day 6 of NaBloPoMo.

No comments: