Sunday, November 26, 2006

Adventures in Errand Running

Dean and I took off at 12:30 today to run a couple of errands. I had to return something to the party strore and wanted to go to the 2nd hand store to find boots and coats for our trip to PA. I should preface this post by mentioning that the car has been acting up - but that might ruin the surprise.
When we left the party store the car kind of protested as it started up. I thought we should just go home but I have a portable jumper in my trunk and I thought if it wouldn't start I'd be able to jump it, no problem. Yeah, right. Anyway, we headed over to the thrift store and found a pair of snow boots and a decent coat that fit Dean just perfectly. So, I bought them and 2 pair of mittens and then we got back in the car.
It wouldn't start.
I let it sit a moment and tried again.
It wouldn't start.
I got the portable jumper out of the trunk and popped the hood. I glanced around expecting some guy to come running over to help me but I must have looked fairly capable because I was left alone. I hooked up the cables, turned the thing on and hopped into the car expecting it to turn over without incident.
I checked the cables and tried again.
Called Tom. He told me to call AAA. So, I did. I told them that my car wouldn't start and they sent someone right over. He tried to jump it but it wouldn't start for him either.
I felt vindicated.
He said it was the starter motor. Great. He didn't bring a tow truck - just a van. Great. He called the company and told them to send a tow. They said it would be another 20 to 30 minutes.
Through all this, Dean just sat in his car seat and smiled at me. While we waited for the tow truck, we drew pictures on the magna doodle. Dean was very excited about the tow truck. He thought they might send Mater (from CARS) to help us. I told him that they probably would.
Tow truck arrives about 15 minutes later and Dean and I stood on the sidewalk to watch our car get hooked up. He decided that maybe Mater got a new paint job and I thought he was probably right. Then we hopped into the cab and the driver took us and our poor disabled car home. Dean ran into the house and told Tom and Jack that he got to ride on Mater.
It was 2:30.
It was quite an adventure.

No comments: