Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day 2006

I voted today. I have voted in every election since I turned 18 with the exception being the mid-term election of 2002. I remember lying in bed in the hospital 4 years ago and realizing that it was the first election that I would miss. Obviously, I had more important things to worry about then but once I got out of the hospital, I registered as a permanent absentee voter so I wouldn't have to miss another election. You may think I'm weird, but I get a real kick out of voting. This election I really took the time to learn all the issues, propositions and tried to find out as much as I could about the candidates. Even after all my research, I still feel like I either aced the test or failed it miserably but I feel really good knowing how hard I tried.
Instead of mailing in my ballot, I drop it off at my polling place on election day. That way I can get my I VOTED sticker and feel a little more connected to the process. For the last 2 elections, I took Jack and Dean with me to drop off my ballot. Many of my neighbors are poll workers and it is a nice opportunity to visit with them and they like to comment on how much the boys have grown. I love that. It makes me feel like I live in a small town. But beyond visiting with my neighbors and getting my sticker, I want my boys to witness the act of voting. I realize they don't understand why we do it and how it matters but some day, they will. I hope they'll ask me questions about the issues and candidates, the Republicans and the Democrats and what it means to be an Independent. I hope they'll take this right seriously and realize how hard our ancestors fought for it. We haven't always had this right and we've come a long way, baby.
So yeah, I know you may think I'm a little overzealous about my election day feelings but as I dropped my ballot in the box this morning, I felt proud.
I hope you voted today, too.

No comments: